Our choir performs a wide rang of songs including unique commissioned works, jazz and blues numbers, comic songs, and folk and traditional songs from around the world. We also include thought provoking songs relevant to current times. We arrange most of our songs ourselves and don’t generally perform cover versions of pop songs. You can hear samples on our Have a Listen page
Current songs include:
- “Shadowlands” A song written by Sammy Hurden specially for Wessex Women
- “Iqude” A traditional Zulu song arranged by Gitika Partingten – a morning song for women to start the work of the day
- “Fellow Passengers” by Mark Samuel and arranged by Helen Porter, about a West African man’s experience of travelling on a train from London to Cornwall.
- “God’s Gift to Women” A bluesy from 1930’s musical romantic comedy arranged by Helen Porter
- “Chicken Song” – comic jazzy farmyard shenanigans arranged by Helen Porter
- “Tsmindao Gmerto” and other songs from Eastern Europe and beyond.
- “Lives in the Balance” A politically charged song by Jackson Browne
- “Fish and Chips Stomp” – A humorous song about the joys of fish and chips (in four part harmony!) written by local performer Mike Rawlinson